For Release: immediately or anytime
Contact: Kate Bandos, KSB Promotions
Invite Deborah Shelton to share with your listeners easy ways to create small treasures and lasting memories with children
“Maybe this weekend” or “Maybe later” are phrases that parents and others find themselves saying to children all too often. When a child wants to play catch or go camping—and the adults are busy with chores or are trying to take a “few minutes for themselves”—whose agenda should take precedence?
Deborah Shelton, a wife, mother and active member of the Association for Play Therapy, knew that with a little thought she could come up with lots of ideas to entertain (and sometimes teach) children that would be fun for both the child and the adult. The Five Minute Parent: Fun & Fast Activities for You and Your Little Ones , offers families 115 creative alternatives to television and computer games.
Listeners who want a truly unique bonding experience with their young charges can choose from activities in eleven categories such as: • adventures in art • weird and wacky science experiments • writing and wishing you were here • games and sports, of sorts • family fun time • music, movement and mayhem • puppets, critters and creepy-crawlies • celebrations using your imagination • cooking & munching in the kitchen • outside fun guide and • easy crafts for all ages.
Most of the projects call for materials that people usually have in their homes. In fact, some activities require only the
willingness to act silly!
In addition to fun projects, The Five Minute Parent also features colorful sidebars with trivia, riddles, jokes, facts and famous quotes that are sure to arouse any child's curiosity.
• Q: What rock group has 4 men that don't sing?
A: Mount Rushmore!
• “Cats are smarter than dogs. You cannot get 8 cats to pull a sled through snow.” —Jeff Valdez
• The first CD released in the USA was Bruce Springsteens “Born In the USA.”
• Q: Who were the first to travel in a hot-air balloon?
A: A duck, a rooster and a sheep flew for 8 minutes in 1783.
Deborah has been a guest on:
WBZ-AM The Parent Report Program
KGO-AM The Joanie Greggains Show
KWAV-FM Wake Up Service
WABJ-AM The John Sebastian Show
WIKZ-FM The Rick & Lisa Show
KTRC-AM Good Morning Live
To schedule your interview with Deborah, contact Kate Bandos at KSB Promotions (800) 304-3269.
“The interview with Deborah went very well—she is a good speaker.”
~Dave Donato, WBZ-AM
Questions Deborah Shelton is frequently asked about her book
The Five Minute Parent:
Fun & Fast Activities for You and Your Little Ones
1. What made you decide to write The Five Minute Parent?
2. How did you come up with all of the activities and extras such as the jokes, quotes and trivia?
3. What is your very favorite activity?
4. With the set-up and clean-up time added to each project, is the title The Five Minute Parent meant to be taken literally, or is it a metaphorical time frame that encourages parents to take small breaks with their children?
5. Do you think that there is a tendency to overload ourselves and our children with formal training, in lieu of spending time just playing and connecting?
6. What kind of value can parents and children get from a five minute, or so, play break?
7. What is the primary age group that the book targets?
8. The appendix features a brief listing of Parent Resource Centers by state. What exactly is a parent resource center?
9. There are a lot of child activity books on the market. What makes The Five Minute Parent different?
10. What is the message that you want parents to remember the most?
Published by Bayou Publishing; available at bookstores nationwide through all major wholesalers, at online bookstores, by visiting or by calling 800-340-2034.
To request a review copy, discuss running an excerpt from the book, or to arrange an interview with Deborah Shelton, please contact Kate Bandos at KSB Promotions, , 800-304-3269 or 616-676-0758, fax 616-676-0759.