For Release: January 2003
Contact: Kate Bandos, KSB Promotions
No More Video Games!
Create small treasures and lasting memories with your grandchildren in minutes!
Just how many video game programs and GameBoys can a child cram into their suitcase for a weekend getaway to Grandma and Grandpas house? If the answer is “Too many” and you wish it were “None”, maybe its time for a change.
Deborah Shelton, a wife, mother and active member of the Association for Play Therapy, knew that with a little thought she could come up with lots of ideas to entertain (and sometimes teach) children that would be fun for both the child and the adult. The Five Minute Parent: Fun & Fast Activities for You and Your Little Ones , offers grandparents 115 creative alternatives to television and computer games.
Grandparents who want a truly unique bonding experience with their grandchildren can choose from activities in eleven categories such as: • adventures in art • weird and wacky science experiments • writing and wishing you were here • games and sports, of sorts • family fun time • music, movement and mayhem • puppets, critters and creepy-crawlies • celebrations using your imagination • cooking & munching in the kitchen • outside fun guide and • easy crafts for all ages.
Most of the projects call for materials that people usually have in their homes. In fact, some activities require only the willingness to act silly!
In addition to fun projects, The Five Minute Parent also features colorful sidebars with trivia, riddles, jokes, facts and famous quotes that are sure to arouse any child's curiosity.
• Q: What rock group has 4 men that don't sing?
A: Mount Rushmore!
• “Put all your eggs in the one basket and—watch that basket!”
• Q: Who were the first to travel in a hot-air balloon?
A: A duck, a rooster and a sheep flew for 8 minutes in 1783.
To Grandma and Grandpas House We Go!
1. Family Interviews. No one knows more about your family than grandparents. Use a tape recorder or just a pencil and paper to record details of what life was like when your grandparents were growing up. What was school like? What clothes did they wear? What was their favorite music?
2. Life Guessing. This is a perfect activity for long walks in the park, or just sitting on a bench and day
dreaming. Make up stories about the people you see during your day together. Notice their clothes and how fast or slow they walk. What does the person do for a living? Where are they going? What story would someone else imagine about you?
3. Bread Art. Turn your breakfast into a work of art! Mix a few drops of food coloring into a cup of milk, then use a new paintbrush to “paint” a piece of white bread. Toast the bread for edible art!
4. Balloon Tennis. This is a fun and no-impact sport. Glue a wooden paint stir stick or a cardboard paper towel tube to a paper plate (your racket) and blow up a balloon (the ball). Tennis anyone?
5. “People Who Love Me List.” Show your grandchildren just how special they are by making a list of people who love them. Laminate the list or decorate it, and hang it on the refrigerator for the world to see.
--- Pull-out Box 1 -----
Moo Juice Science
milk (moo juice)
pie tin or shallow baking dish
Cover the bottom of the dish with milk. Next, add a drop or two of food coloring, but don't stir. Now add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Can you believe your eyes? The dishwashing liquid broke the surface tension of the milk.
This is just one of the 115 fun and fast activities that can be found in The Five Minute Parent by Deborah Shelton (©2002, www.bayoupublishing.com).
----- End of Pull-out Box 1 -----
“I wish I had this book when my children were young—but now I have it for when the grandchildren come to visit.”
--Connie Dean, Mother of 5, Grandmother of 6
The Five Minute Parent: Fun & Fast Activities for You and Your Little Ones
by Deborah Shelton illustrated by Frankie Gordon
184 pages 9" x 6" Line illustrations Family Resource Centers Index
Printed 2 color throughout (blue & black)
$12.95 trade paperback original
Publication date: September 2002
Published by Bayou Publishing; available at bookstores nationwide through all major wholesalers, at online bookstores, by visiting or by calling 800-340-2034.
To request a review copy of The Five Minute Parent, to arrange an interview with Deborah Shelton or for any additional information, please contact Kate Bandos at KSB Promotions • 800-304-3269 • • fax 616-676-0759
Please send two copies of any review or mention to
Bayou Publishing, 2524 Nottingham, Houston, TX 77005